EastIdahoNews.com spotlights hard-working people who make our local businesses a success. Every Sunday we get to know YOU!
1. Name, position and company: Rachel Barnes, Office Manager at Baker Pediatric Dentistry
2. What does your company do and what are your responsibilities? We specialize in pediatric dentistry. I work with a great doctor, hygienists and dental assistants, lead the reception and assist where needed.
3. Where were you born and when is your birthday? I was born in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on June 29, 1985
4. How long have you lived in eastern Idaho and what city do you live in now? I currently have and always have lived in Idaho Falls.
5. Tell us about your first job after high school/college. I worked at Center Partners before starting here.
6. What’s the best business decision you’ve ever made? The best business decision I’ve made is to apply for a job as a dental assistant for Dr. Gregg Baker in 2003. I have met some wonderful little kids and parents over the years here.
7. Tell us about your family. I am happily married to my high school sweetheart, Mike Barnes. We have two great guys, Treyson & Tatum, who keep us very busy. We love to play golf, fish, hunt and travel together.
8. Tell us about a movie or book that has inspired you the most in life. Not being a huge reader or movie buff, I’d say “Shooter” starring Mark Wahlberg is a great movie with a good story. He’s not a bad actor to watch either.
9. Tell us about a lesson you learned from a mistake you made in your career/company. Almost Wrong… I was offered a job as a dental assistant a few years ago and almost left Dr. Baker. Around the same time, the position of reception/office manager opened here, which I got. I am so thankful that it worked out how it went. dr. Gregg Baker was the best pediatric dentist to work for and I am fortunate that his son, Dr. Thomas Baker, has taken over the practice. I can continue to say that I work for a great pediatric dentist and 18 years later I enjoy coming to work every day.
10. What is a goal you hope to achieve in the next 12 months? To keep living life to the fullest. You never know how long you or your loved ones have left, so cherish every moment… and stop watching on amazon.
11. What is one piece of advice you have for someone who wants to do what you do? Being able to multitask on a daily basis and take on different responsibilities is the key to a successful day, and a big smile goes a long way.
12. If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? I feel blessed with the life I have and everyone in it. I wouldn’t say I would do anything different, but keep learning from my mistakes along the way.
13. What’s your favorite place to eat in eastern Idaho? My new favorite is Longhorn Steakhouse. Love the shrimp and Mac & Cheese
14. Tell us something surprising about yourself. In a house full of boys I shot the biggest deer and caught the biggest fish.
15. How do you eat your potatoes? I’m a big fan of taters, however I can eat them.
If you have an employee or colleague we need to get to know, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.